Sunday, August 1, 2010

Similar Sounding Songs Sound The Same

Every once in a while, a musician finds a sound that is uniquely their own....and they never change. Here are a few of those bands whose songs all sound the same. (Which isn't necessarily a bad thing........but in most cases, it is)

*Disclaimer* I understand that each band usually only has one singer, a couple guitars, and one drum kit, so inevitably the "sound" is going to be similar from one song to the next. I'm speaking more from the side of composition and structure of the songs. I am also aware that albums, especially those written and recorded in a short time period, will lend itself to similar sounding songs. It's hard to (and really bad form) to completely change directions within the same album. So, for each band I've included a few songs from different records.


The Smithereens - Behind The Wall Of Sleep, A Girl Like You, Only A Memory, Drown In My Own Tears, House We Used To Live In.

Coldplay - Speed Of Sound, Yellow, Clocks, Trouble, The Scientist, In My Place.

Nickelback - Someday, Figured You Out, Rockstar, How You Remind Me, Photograph.

The Black Keys - I Got Mine, Your Touch, Next Girl, She's Long Gone, Black Door, Strange Desire, Oceans And Streams

AC/DC - Highway To Hell, Thunderstruck, You Shook Me All Night Long, TNT, Hells Bells, It's A Long Way To The Top

Boston - Peace Of Mind, More Than A Feeling, Rock And Roll Band, Carry On My Wayward Son

Creed - My Sacrifice, One Last Breath, With Arms Wide Open, Higher, What's This Life For, My Own Prison, One, Higher

Jane's Addiction - Mountain Song, Jane Says, Been Caught Stealing, Just Because

Ace Of Base - Sign, All That She Wants, Beautiful Life, Never Gonna Say I'm Sorry, Don't Turn Around

Hootie And The Blowfish - Hold My Hand, Time, Only Wanna Be With You, I'm Goin' Home



to be continued...


(Personally, I prefer bands to be able to grow, both on a maturity level and on a musical level. As artists, they should be trying to push themselves to become better, to explore different areas of their own musicality, to push the levels of their talent as far as it will go. That's not to say that once they find a unique sound that fits themselves as artists, they should go to the other extreme (whatever that may be), but they should at least test the limits of what they're trying to achieve. I'm not saying for a band to be good, they need to be different. But they shouldn't be recycling the same stuff over and over, just because it worked for them last time. Learn. Create. Learn some more.)

No comments:

Post a Comment